The obstacles they found to achieving such efficiencies include:
- 40% - lack of encouragement from top management
- 36% - widespread unawareness of the cost/benefit relationship of energy efficiency
- 35% - enterprises not wanting to risk reliability
- 33% - lack of communication between IT and facilities departments
There were some other interesting statistics on energy consumption in the data center:
60% of the data center electrical load is used to power IT equipment:
- 56% of that being used to power servers,
- 27% for storage
- 19% for network equipment
- 41 % of survey respondents said their data center electrical usage is not metered separately from the rest of their facilities.
- 81% of operators believe that by 2012 they will need additional data center capacity, despite the fact that 64 percent have built or upgraded their data center in the last five years.
- 27% of respondents believe that despite consolidation and the use of virtualization, their server inventory will increase throughout the next five years.