- Company divisions are moving to individual P&L's (with chargebacks) and are under pressure to ID and eliminate wasteful costs
- He's overseeing the use of thousands of pieces of hardware (servers, switches, routers), being used by roughly 500 engineers (many overseas in India). Many of these pieces consume over 1kW each.
- Lab hardware is constantly being reserved for test-beds, checked-out, and then returned to unreserved status. But it's clear that even when a piece of hardware is part of a test-bed, it may be un-used for as much as 50% of the time.
- In labs alone, the company is paying nearly $100k per month in electricity bills
- He knows that there are massive power inefficiencies, and is looking for a solution.
And what better place to begin than in Dev/Test?