The 13 different functions are mapped onto the data center "stack" at right. They span management of both physical and virtual software, servers, I/O, networking, etc. -- as well as higher-level functions such as High-Availability and Disaster Recovery.
The Dell PAN offering unifies 12 of the 13 functions, and provides them from within a single console is called PAN Manger. (The 13th function if provided via the Dell Management Console.) This single-console infrastructure management software consists of the base PAN Builder software, as well as two optional modules, PAN Server Portability, and PAN Portability.
So, using the diagram from last week, the functionality maps as follows:
- VM server management
- Physical server management
- Software (P & V) provisioning
- I/O virtualization & management
- IP load balancing
- Network virtualization & management
- Storage connection management
- Infrastructure provisioning
- Device (e.g. switch & load balancing) failover
- Physical N+1 failover (HA)
- Virtual host N+1 failover (HA)
- Disaster recovery (DR) for entire mixed P & V environments