Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Only in Silicon Valley: License Plate Sightings in the Field

Driving around silicon valley on routes 101 and 280 ("The 101" and "The 280" if you're from California) you can't help but notice this isn't like the rest of America.  You'll see dozens of Priuses. Frequently you'll even see Teslas and Fiskers. And there's that white all-electric 325i I see buzzing around. But what really drives-home the fact that this is northern CA are the Vanity plates.

Herein I will only post plates that I personally see. To wit:

Webmaster1 - yes, I believe you were #1... because this car may have been around since Tim Berners-Lee invented the web.

Ethernet - This guy is parked right around the corner from where I live. I'm thinking the car also dates back to the first time that a 10baseT got plugged in...

Patent: This one speaks for itself. Their other car is probably a Bentley.

WebApp.  Microcode for a microcar?

1E4 Gauss. That's a Tesla.... literally and mathematically.  Maxwell would be proud of ya'.

Apple. No, not Steve's car. But I'm sure they've had multiple offers for this plate. Wondering how many times it's been stolen.

I Debug. What Claudius the engineer says. One classy coder.

Byte Law. I take that to be a metaphor for Shark Attorney. Nice Karma.

Silica. His wife's car is plated SiO2. I have to wonder what form of the compound he made his fortune with. Perfect for a Blog post with the word Silicon in it.

PWR V*I. Another apropos Tesla vanity plate right around the corner from me. What? That's a Watt.

Nfobahn for the autobahn.  But is the Benz speedier than my 2 gig WiFi?

CMD SHFT. Now that car's got to have an awesome function keystroke.

Net Sclr. Judging that this was taken in a Citrix parking lot, I'm guessing this guy has something to do with NetScaler.  That's auto load balancing for network traffic, not load balancing for automobile suspension in traffic.

Cloud C. [Guest submission] Wow, just wow.  Thanks @geoffarnold

UX Dzinr. [Guest submission] And that's quite a user experience you're driving Mr. Designer. Thanks @susanwu88. Recently saw this guy in my neighborhood. So I'll take credit for the sighting, too.

SMB Guru. [Guest submission] Yep, that's his thang. Billboard or vanity plate? Thanks @AnuragTechaisle

ARM Pwrd. Oh boy, that's a RISCy vanity plate.  And it sure doesn't look like it's a tablet computer.

SUNW. A bygone ticker preceding a bygone ticker (JAVA) for a bygone company (now ORCL) that held a special place in my heart. Alas, it didn't look like Scott was the guy driving.

iPodded. You did?  I was unaware there was a past tense of a noun.

SaaS APM. While I can't speak for the SaaS Performance Management, the vehicle Performance Management was quite high when I took the pic.

BEA Number 1.  BEA… fastest SW company to reach $1B. And this is a Proud Man (and an ex-CEO). Go Cardinals.

PA VC. Either cute spousal initials… or a Palo Alto Venture Capitalist? You decide.

I Binary. And I think he was doing 100 on RT 101. LOL.

Java Fun. Love this one. And it ain't about coffee… cross-referencing SUNW above.




2 comments:

Jay Fry said...

First of all, a slight correction. The use of "the" before freeway names is a distinctive trait of natives of *Southern* California. Down there, it seems, freeways have such importance that they warrant a direct article in front of them. Up here, we can only hope that they never gain that sort of linguistic sway.

And second, I'm disappointed you don't have a certain "BEA NBR1" plate photo from days gone by. :)

Quantum said...

these are a tad much, but hey, it's their money to spend.